Wednesday, October 11, 2006

I Calls Em Like I Sees Em


Where ya goin?
I'm goin ta pick a fight.

First I got a phone call.

It was a pleasant phone call. Not angry at all, but the cold, logical, "you don't know what the hell you are talking about" call to which I now feel accustomed. The caller informed me that apparently there was a libel suit way back some time this summer between the Taylor - Cox* camps. I admitted that I didn't remember said suit. Even though I read damn near every Georgia blog every day in addition to reading several local papers, I could have missed it. The call was off the record so I won't quote here. But it did end with a saying about urination and conflagration.

Then I saw the irritated blog post.

It caused me to pause.

So I decided to do some research.

The libel suit did indeed occur. It may have been overshadowed by the fact that everyone knew Cox and Taylor hated each other so much Jimmy Carter had to be called in. But it did happen. I don't remember it and I believe it may have been just a blip in the middle of much campaign folderol.

The only reference I could find to the suit was at So Left. There may have been other references but I can't find them. I expect if they exist, my Democrat friends will point them out and I promise I will print corrections.
Here are the facts. Lots of people know Cox and Taylor don't like each other. And it is indeed the job of the Secretary of State to attend openings of the State Museum. And it probably is true Cox has made campaign appearances with other Democrats. And maybe the boys at the AJC Insider like me chose to report on light instead of heat.
But the bottom line is that 99.9% of Georgians will see Cathy Cox for the first time in public, post-primary not with her fellow Democrat Mark Taylor, but with Republican Sonny Perdue.
That's the fact Jack.
*The Georgia Democrat candidates for Governor for my non-Georgia readers.

4 comments:

Pokerista said...

Hmm...I wonder who this could've been from. Certainly not the same person who picked a fight via email over my angry condemnation of the Democratic party a few weeks ago, right?

MelGX said...

You get phone calls about blog entries? That's like, sort of stalker behavior.

And yes, there was a lawsuit because the 22 year old communications director couldn't keep his trap shut. It wasn't settled in a timely manner because "they" tried to use it as a bargaining chip. It backfired. This is the South where we catch more flies with sugar than salt.

Amy posted at least a couple of entries about it, but she doesn't have a search function. If you're curious, the entries would have been in August and September.

http://georgiawomenvote.blogspot.com/

griftdrift said...

Thanks for the link Mel. I don't think I had subscribed to Amy's blog back in the summer so that must be why I missed it.

And yes I get calls. And yes it does say something about my readers. I prefer to think of them as attentive instead of stalkerific.

At least so far.

Anonymous said...

By the way, one of my favorite shows is "Who Wants to Dirty Sanchez My Sister."